Monday, July 18, 2005

Self-referential link ahoy!

Haven't blogged in a long time, but felt the need to since Planet Redbrick has been launched!

When I first heard the name I thought Planet Redbrick would be the cool idea Kevin p had years ago about making a map of the world and highlighting the countries that Redbrick members had logged on from. However Planet Redbrick is a page which could also (maybe more accurately) be called Blogosphere Redbrick. It is a collection of blogs by Redbrick members.

I'm there, and so are many other fine people. This is why I've decided to write this post, because I haven't written in so long that none of my blog entries are on the site ;o)

Actually this Planet Redbrick idea might encourage me to blog. Maybe it will create a blogging arms race with people frantically writing blog entries just to keep a presence on the page? I think in time it will definitely start to get infected with the in-jokes from the Redbrick boards ("Planet Redbrick has an army in the Nebucanezar looking for a second INTRA job now?" "Yes, they held off the Russian army with poor people skills.") If we all descend into writing blog entries discussing each other's blogs then we could become as self-referential, elitist, and isolated from reality as some of the American political bloggers (ooh, controversial!). I hope that won't happen, but hopefully a sort of community spirit will emerge to some small enough extent.

Planet Redbrick

No comments: